Seitz 6x17 Digital
45'500 CHF (28'900 Euro)
42'300 CHF (26'900 Euro)
Seitz 6x17 Digital panorama camera
(without lens) including Seitz D3 digital back
Available as of early 2007
Key features Seitz D3 digital scan back
* Very high speed and resolution: 300 MB raw data per second!
* Special imaging sensor developed by DALSA Corporation exclusively for Seitz for photography applications
* Very high sensitivity and broad ISO/ASA range (equivalent): 500 - 10'000
* Very high image quality thanks to 48-bit colour depth, low noise, high dynamic range, DALSA anti-blooming feature, Seitz image optimisation algorythms, freedom to use own raw-conversion workflow
* Possibility to freely interchange Seitz D3 digital scan back between Seitz 6x17 camera, new Roundshot D3 panorama camera and - in the future - medium or
large format cameras
Key features Seitz 6x17 panorama camera
* Create a high resolution 6x17 digital image (160 million pixels) in
* Ideal for use with world-class Schneider or Rodenstock large format lenses (on Seitz lens board) or Linhof Technorama, Fuji and other large format lenses (on adaptor plate)
* User-friendly camera system and software with 640x480 pixel colour touch screen for perfect preview, editing, zooming and image control
* State-of-the art computer technology with gigabit Ethernet file transfer, powerful portable mini-computer (storage device) and handheld control device (PDA) with IP network WLAN connection
* Fully mobile and open system:
- full mobility for outdoors assignments (with camera, portable
mini-computer, handheld control device)
- possibility to use in studio and run software on
computer with free choice of operating system (Mac OS,
* Uncompromising precision of camera body and accessories
This scan back 6x17 camera is extremely fast. The image results are comparable to a one-shot digital or film back. This is possible thanks to a very high read-out speed of 300 MB per second - 100x faster than for any existing scan back. The fastest exposure speed is 1/20'000 - or one second for the entire 6x17 scan at full resolution!
Compared to previous surface sensors, the sensitivity of the Seitz D3 sensor is significantly higher. Or compared to conventional scanning cameras, the sensitivity is increased by factor 100. This results in a very broad ISO/ASA range (equivalent) of 500 to 10,000, which makes this camera the perfect instrument for virtually all light situations. Our new stage selection technology allows to control sensitivity by selecting smaller or larger areas of the sensor. This means: additional sensitivity without any additional noise!
What few thought possible has now come true: wide-format digital photography. With a resolution of 7,500 pixels vertically and 21,250 pixels horizontally this camera creates a 160 million pixel image.
This substantial resolution makes it possible to create high quality reproductions. A variety of different formats is possible: 6x6, 6x9, 6x15 or a full 6x17 panorama. No limits for high definition photography!
Very High Image Quality
We have achieved a true technological breakthrough not only in speed and resolution but also in its impressive image quality. Our digital technology corrects natural brightness decrease towards the edge without the use of a centre filter. The image has a 48-bit colour depth and a high dynamic range.
When shooting directly into the sun, the sensor’s anti-blooming feature reduces glare and allows a clean passage between highlights and lowlights. The image is further enhanced by advanced optimisation algorithms developed by Seitz for ultimate image quality. Or work directly on the raw image and apply your own raw conversion preferences.
Leading Edge Digital Technology
The Digital 3 scan back sensor has been designed and developed exclusively for Seitz by DALSA Corporation.
In this multi-year project specialists around the world have brought together the best capabilities in digital technology, computer science, image optimisation and knowledge of photography applications to build a camera system that goes beyond the imaginable.
A Pleasure To Work With
The Seitz 6x17 Digital is a pleasure to work with. Thanks to ergonomical hand grips the camera is perfectly stable for handheld images. Operating the camera is easy with a touch screen that can be attached to the camera body or removed for wireless control.
All camera functions are displayed via graphical icons which are easy to understand. The 640x480 pixel colour screen is the biggest camera screen today and allows perfect preview, editing, zooming and image control.
Latest Computer Technology
A 6x17 digital panorama (uncompressed) has about 950 MB. To process and store such large amounts of data we have created a state-of-the-art computer system. Data is transferred by gigabit ethernet from the sensor to the storage device.
The portable storage device is a computer in itself with most advanced characteristics in processing, disk space and memory. Additionally, the camera and handheld control unit take advantage of the latest IP network technology, making it possible to connect the camera to a network and control it remotely.
Fully Mobile & Open System
We designed this camera to meet the expectations of those photographers who like to take their equipment on exploratory adventures.
All components are fully modular - the portable storage device and the handheld device can be adapted to your specific needs.
The camera can also be used in the studio, running the software from a computer (Mac, PC, Linux) via ethernet connection.
For best image results we recommend using the advanced Schneider or Rodenstock lenses on a Seitz lens board.
Another possibility is to use large-format lenses of existing 6x17 panoramic cameras such as Linhof Technorama, Fuji and others. These lenses are connected to the Seitz camera on an optional adaptor plate.
All lens types and brands can be interchanged without any restrictions.
A Rewarding Investment
Just like a traditional digital back the Seitz D3 scan back cassette can be removed from the 6x17 camera body and fitted to other cameras, e.g., the new Roundshot D3 360° panorama camera and, in the future, other large or medium format cameras.
The possibility to use the scan back in a variety of different cameras makes the system truly versatile - to the benefit of the photographer.
With increasing image resolution the engineering precision of the camera hardware becomes very important.
All our cameras are made from solid blocks of aluminium as used in space technology with state-of-the-art CNC machinery.
Our machining tolerances are at the decisive 1/100 mm. Uncompromising precision and perfectly adjusted lenses are our guarantee for excellent results. Every Seitz 6x17 camera is hand-made in Switzerland and is unique.